Some questions Keith Olbermann has asked of #mooreandme supporters, and my responses:
Olbermann [to Sady Doyle]: [W]hy are you encouraging smoking by women in your avatar?
A. What? Seriously?
OK, well, Sady already gave this a more serious response than it deserved, so I’ll just quote her:
.@KeithOlbermann must also acknowledge I endorse glasses, couches, sweaters. SIT ON COUCHES! FOR FEMINISM!
UPDATE: Sady just promised to quit smoking if Olbermann makes a full correction.
Olbermann: How anti-feminist is that?
A: If Sady ever explicitly promoted smoking among women, I suppose that would be fairly anti-feminist, as well as just plain stupid and bewilderingly uncharacteristic of her. But it would still have fuck-all to do with the fact that you disseminated false information and stubbornly refuse to correct it.
A: None! None whatsoever! String him up by the balls without a trial, I say! An accusation is as good as a conviction in my book!
There, now when someone asks you to provide an example of a gen-yoo-wine feminist saying Assange doesn’t deserve due process, you can link them back here. Because I’m pretty sure you won’t find one anywhere else.
Olbermann: What if he’s not guilty?
- If he’s not guilty, it’s still a fact that he was accused of rape.
- If he’s not guilty, it’s still a fact that unprotected consensual sex is perfectly legal in Sweden.
- If he’s not guilty, it’s still a fact that the allegations are about far more than a broken condom.
- If he’s not guilty, it’s still a fact that you didn’t correct Michael Moore when he distorted all of the above facts during an interview with you.
- If he’s not guilty, it’s still a fact that you personally spread ridiculous misinformation as well.
- If he’s not guilty, it’s still a fact that you boosted the signal on a patently ludicrous, nakedly sexist article by an unreliable writer. [UPDATE: Olbermann just said on Twitter that he "repudiated the linked article weeks back when the author was alleged to have been a holocaust denier." I have no idea where he did that, but I'll give him the benefit of the doubt.] [UPDATE 2: On Dec. 7, he tweeted "If the author of that article is a holocaust denier, I repudiate him and what he wrote, and apologize for retweeting the link" in an @ reply to user @mcmoynihan -- meaning it would only show up in feeds of people who follow both Olbermann and Moynihan, and on Olbermann's main page -- not in his 150K+ followers' feeds. So yes, he apologized for that before #mooreandme started, but not quite publicly.)
- If he's not guilty, it's still a fact that trivializing real rape allegations contributes to a culture in which victims are hesitant to report being raped for fear that they won't be believed.
- If he's not guilty, it's still a fact that you've behaved like a blinkered, condescending, mendacious (or at best, willfully obtuse), mansplaining, childish shitbag in response to sincere feminist criticism. [UPDATE: Olbermann has responded fairly respectfully to me on Twitter this afternoon, so he at least gets points for doing waaaaaaay better than Moore on this. Enough that I'll even take back the "shitbag." The rest stands.]
A. Dude, Bianca Jagger has fewer Twitter followers than I do. You retweeted that link to over 100,000 people. Michael Moore then retweeted your tweet to over 700,000. Come on.
Some questions Keith Olbermann really should be asking himself, and their correct answers:
Q. If I am indeed the greatest male supporter of feminism in TV news, does that say far more about TV news today than my feminist bona fides?
Q. When I make a derogatory claim about my critics, do I have a responsibility to substantiate it?
Q. Is “retweeting a web piece” without comment fundamentally the same thing as publicly endorsing it?
Q. Was the person who wrote “kill yourself” making a sly reference to that time I responded to a viewer e-mail with, “Hey, save the oxygen for somebody whose brain can use it. Kill yourself”?
A. Quite possibly.
Q. If unprotected consensual sex is illegal in Sweden, where do Swedish babies come from?
Q. Is defending and apologizing for a rapist the heart of what I’m being accused of here?